Friday, January 8, 2010

The Yoga Life

So I used to do yoga in high school and continued through college on my own with DVDs and yes - videos. But I was never disciplined with practicing, and somehow I'd like to change that. So I've decided to volunteer at a Yoga studio in NYC. Yes...I did say volunteer. Meaning I work for free, but get free yoga classes in exchange. Yesterday was my first stay and it was a startlingly jarring experience because it was nothing like I expected. It's a cute little studio in a trendy neighborhood, but I found it through a posting on Craiglist. When I responded looking for more information, I was greeted with a "Great! When can you start?" in my inbox...not quite what I was looking for but thought, oh heck let's for it, and I showed up Thursday afternoon. I thought it was going to be just a meet-and-greet, but I met a young girl named B who just threw me right in. It was only a two hour shift so I just learned how to sign people in (which I forsee being something that's going to give me major headaches in the future) and clean. Oh yea. I felt like I was back in high school working at a local ice cream shop where all I did was clean, clean, clean in between serving customers. But it's a pretty easy gig, and everyone seems delightful so far, but there inability to understand my bewilderment was confusing in and of itself. You see, I had zero information going in, so I was more or less expecting an interview, schedule discussion and job duties description. Instead I became a bonafide employee upon entering the door and within days I will be opening the store myself...after only 4 hours of training.
I arrived again today and did the exact same thing. I don't even like cleaning my own apartment for free, and now I'm doing it at a yoga studio. But I'm chalking it up to to a valued experience where I'm bound to meet characters galore...and it's something to do with my time when I'm not at my real job and it's FREE YOGA, in NYC. amazeballs. Updates to come.

No comments: